The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Dream, morning of 20070801

My first dream of August.

I must have been at some sort of high school reunion gathering--though I didn't know it at first--at the coast. People were drowning offshore, and I was finding lifejackets and throwing them out to them, telling them to hold on. Jarom was helping me throw them. It was overcast and dismal out, like the Northern California coast; there was a breeze but it was still warm out. I was wearing my Lotus lifejacket, dressed to raft. I went running to find more lifejackets to save people. I ran past Lisa Adams, and turned, recognizing her, shouted her name. She didn't notice me, and I had to keep running, had to save people. I turned into a little shop, and there was Evan Lehrman and Scott the tennis player [note to self: look up his last name in the yearbook]. Evan said, "Hey dude" and I said hey in return. They looked surprised and one said, "You have a goatee!" And I was offended because I did *not* have a goatee, I just had some scruff that grew in thicker around the chin. Then I grabbed some lifejackets out of the breadbox and said, "Sorry, people are drowning." And they just sipped back on some beverages while I ran outside again.

I threw out a few more vests. Then I found a gondola-boat and rode it inside the cathedral, where the moat was internal and wove through the church. It was beautiful inside, with ornate ornaments carved in soft cream-colored stone: lions' heads and candlesticks and posts and columns.

I got off the gondola later and was hurriedly going elsewhere when I ran into Mom by some steps. She was looking for me, worried about me. I said I was fine, not to worry, then went running again down the halls, softly carpeted in red and lined with golden metalwork and draped with fine bloodred silk curtainry.

3 comments:

Joseph Beatty said...

haha this dream is hilarious. youre sense of urgency, quite funny. i love dream

GunthërBrown said...

Matt-
I ran into your mom, last time i was in Cameron Park and she gave me your web site. Great writing by the way! Was your dream inspired by our upcoming class reunion? I don't really know exactly when it is but there are e-mails going around about the making of one in September. If you want any info i can forward the e-mails to you, my e-mail is sierra_ride@yahoo.com. P.S We live in Provo and Jed lives with us, we should all get together sometime.

moonshinejunkyard said...

matt this is pretty freaking hilarious and relentless...i agree with joey about the sense of urgency. i like the sudden cathedral, and moat, and how people are calmly sipping drinks. mostly i love how jarom is helping save people, he would.