The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Emergence of the four of gray

I am 40; I am 26. I have a disturbing fascination with cataloguing the supposed-recession of my hairline, and it's led to the emergence of the four of gray. How could I have known? Was it possible to prepare for this moment, this Vanilla Sky-moment, a pausing in gravity, a perturbation in the natural timeline, a temporary transformation - into the leaping blip of a heartbeat, the startled jump that's recorded on a chart and no doctor understands? I was a bit shocked.

I must be deficient in B12. I had better buy some supplements; it occurs primarily in animal products, you know.

They were hidden, but not well, as their camouflaged toplayer parted to reveal their true existence. Transparency! Ah ha! White! Gray! Death! You four shall be plucked from your impious positions, ruthlessly, painfully torn from your blood-suckling, leeching roots. You are no kin of mine! So I'll have you removed. Surgically, if necessary. I'll do the procedure myself, thank you very much.

Calmly, cleanly, last night the ritual was performed. My stasis has been restored. Now where is my new bottle of vitamin B12?

Audio: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea|Neutral Milk Hotel
Video: Cilantro y Perejil [1995|Rafael Montero]
Text: A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius|Dave Eggers

My word(s) of the day: provenance
[Why: Dave Eggers used it (I think) four times in his book.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

matt let me tell you a thing or two about gray hair. supposedly if you pull one out you get ten in its place. tho i don't quite believe that. i pulled out approximately eight the other day while we were driving around san francisco. they occur in my part, springing up in wiry alertness. it's kinda weird. right now i thankfully feel like i have less. the hundred or so i am entitled to after those i pulled out so carelessly have not yet arrived. supposedly it relates to a vitamin deficiency but i too started taking b12 and it didn't seem to help much. i do think it is stress. anyway i will talk to you soon, DON"T STRESS!