The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Monday, February 13, 2006

For me to give

Smile, and fuel the flames that keep me warm
through all these winters,
the ones that have come and gone,
and all those waiting for us.

Speak, and send me searching for something to say
to try and match your cleverness.
An impossible task, one inevitably
rendering me speechless and amused.

Laugh, and clear the clouds from the darkened skies
that sometimes find me,
in afternoon moods or on dismal days,
when I should certainly know better.

Walk, and leave me longing to walk with you--or to dance with you!--
to forget my misgivings
and pretend we are written by Jane Austen,
and that we've never been otherwise.

Tire, and come to me close, so that I can hold you,
to soothe you and warm you,
and watch your sweet eyes shut so calmly.
It's all that I can do, really, in return.

Sleep, and become that beacon of peace and comfort and hope,
lulling me into slumber next to you,
in a bed never meant to hold just one of us,
where we can dream each other to life and it never stops.

Love, and teach me the true meaning of the colors of the sunset,
the brilliance of snowfall,
the quickness of the rivers,
the forever deserts,
the cascading mountains.
All of it is in you, from you.

You, as you are,
you are all that was ever pretty,
or joyous, or thoughtful, inspiring, captivating, creative.
And you build me inside, because without you--
my design is desolate.
Forlorn. And I am nothing.

All that loves in me is yours, for you.
Because you've shown me how to use it,
and it's mine to give--so I give it to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mattie this made me cry. i cannot believe how poetically you express your love of amy. it really seems like true romance, true passion and true love. you can feel that in the words even if you don't know you two in all your glory! i love you both and am so thankful that you had the strength and courage to pursue what you really needed in your life which was amy and your family with her. love is all around us, how lucky we are!