The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Thursday, February 21, 2008

The clouds eclipsed the eclipse

There was a lunar eclipse on the 21st, slated to be visible to most of the US, including the Utah Valley, where I live. The weather decided not to cooperate, and while much of the rest of America got to witness it, I was left clouded.

--- ---

I wait outside,
watching expectantly;
I curse the weather and
the well-placed streetlamp.

I need just one single, simple
clearing--one open patch of sky
the size of a dime--
for perhaps a minute or two,

then you low, happy clouds
can go about your business,
masquerading as spring rain
over the tailend of winter.

2 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

Your too cute my sugar. You were just like a young lad trying to find Santa's sleigh in the sky. You couldn't stop peeping outside every moment to see if the clouds had moved on. I remember this clearly because it was cold and that dang door just wouldn't stay shut. I'm sorry you missed it my love.

Susan said...

I missed it too Mattie, I was on the phone to Mikie in L.A. and he was whooping for joy with the beauty of the sight, but alas, dear old Placerville was cloudy with just a show of light where the moon should have been. I'm so sorry you missed it too. I asked Mikie if he could take a picture, but don't know if he could. Love you honey, Mom