The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Friday, April 25, 2008

Dust

The shrouded mountain
is speckled with wet white.
To the south, the sun breaks
barely below a pall of stormclouds,
lighting the faroff peaks.

A single raven hovers, flies,
wings taut and light in the wind;
it descends on a power line.
Horses stand swishing tails,
hooves caked with snow and mud.

Shifting patches of blue emerge
above the tumorous black clouds
A lone shock of thunder crumples the air,
telling of lightning too distant to see.

A century ago--two, maybe--
I would have wanted
my ashes spread here.
Over the scrub oak and boxelders, the
shimmering quaking aspens.
Over the scree slopes and layered limestone
and the valley floors below--
dust sweeping up like a sandstorm
into the thunderclouds.

5 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

You have so much detail in your writing. You notice so much beauty. I always wonder if the horses are cold, and I feel bad for them. I hate being cold. Interesting that you would have had your ashes spread here. Where do you want them spread this century- A wife should really know these important details.

heather said...

i like amy's question...i was thinking along the same lines...what has happened in the last couple centuries to change your mind? the urban growth or your own personal life/desires? beautiful poem.

Susan said...

Beautiful Matt, I can just see the dark thunderclouds and smell rain in the air. You live in beautiful mountain country. I love you honey, Mom

Joseph Beatty said...

rad it reminds me a lot of my drive to work, out cold springs road to coloma. we should maybe go out there when youre here and explore the dillapidated shacks and sheds. this is grand and the world is our enlightenment.

Susan said...

More Matt, we want more stories, poetry, mind pictures.