The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Tuesday, July 22, 2008

That room

The door's always cracked open,
the humid swamp cooler air holding it
in stasis,
just enough
to hear the late-night cries
from each of three beds:
Daddy; and, I had a nightmare; and, I'm thirsty.

Sleepdrunk, I push the door
that always creaks twice,
assist reluctantly and leave a stern warning.
See you in the morning.

This isn't my job, my responsibility. My duty.
Not something forced or worth rolling eyes at.
They look up at me, into me,
with full eyes while I'm half-asleep,
half-trudging through fatherhood.

Will I ever remember how heart-shattering
the most minute details were?
The sound of a sneeze, a burbling laugh,
mispronounced words, troublemaking,
anticipation for trivial things.
Will I always be an adult--mature, overseeing?
Will I recognize what I have?

These little personalities, distinct and growing,
small packages of voice and song, smiles,
handmedown shirts and dresses,
sturdy legs and golden skin.

There's not enough love to capture them,
to remember them.
I can't wrap myself around them
tight enough for them to ever know. Or
cover them,
a protective sheath that makes them
mine.
Keeps them tiny and spirited and perfect until they
burst free,
someday.
Because there isn't enough of me
to contain all that is them.

7 comments:

moonshinejunkyard said...

this is amazing mattie. i had to read it twice. the details are perfect and heart wrenching. the golden skin and handmedown clothes, i can just see your children in all their goofy glory.they are so lucky to have such an amazing father. i love the summer night feel of this too, and a moment you can now always carry. i also love that you make it sound like one may traverse backwards from adulthood and be childlike again, that rings true to me and i never want to be an adult. thank you for sharing this burst of love!

Amy Beatty said...

Too heart breaking and true daddy. I can't stand it. Your the best honey. I wish we could freeze time and fully enjoy everything, not that we don't enjoy life, it just gos by too quickly, too fast. I need more time with my ever growing babies.

Joseph Beatty said...

the last two lines are my favorite. this is brilliant man. kids will be fun.

Susan said...

Okay Mattie, you made me cry...this poem is beautiful and all too real to me. You are an awesome, wonderful daddy. I can look back on moments like those from long ago and how could I know they would be gone so fast? I wish I could have held them close forever.

AdieSpringB said...

Matty I love this so much.
I love that we cannot contain each other, ever. We are all so much endless and vast than even ourselves can understand. We can barely contain ourselves. But I think time is backwards, I do. Somehow it works in reverse. And every crackle, creak, breath, step, dream, groggy word....it goes on rippling into the future. Their future. And it becomes the heart of them. The sweetest and most possibility-invoking heart. If you know it now, if you know those about those moments now, I think they are probably even more potent as they shoot into foreverness.

Love you and your whole golden skinned human fam.

AdieSpringB said...

Had to reread it.
"Will I ever remember how heart-shattering
the most minute details were?
The sound of a sneeze, a burbling laugh,
mispronounced words, troublemaking,
anticipation for trivial things."

What are those trivial things? I was trying to come up with some.... Like do they ask for a glass of water? Or to make sure about something they are wondering about? I love your engrossment in the moment here. It is so realized, and that is such a great and rare thing.

3 little breathing sweetnesses. What a newness it must be to know.

I love the name of this one too. THAT ROOM. So terrific Matt. Can't wait til you put together a book of these genius words of yours.

Susan said...

This poem is perfection in it's simple beauty. It captures the essence of parenthood in a single perfect set of verses. I love it so much. It still tugs at my heart and brings tears to my eyes. It's my favorite poem you've written. I'm going to put it on my fridge in a place of honor.