The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Sunday, December 04, 2005

Colony 945

I lived in one of the round white Roman Towers, with the others. Ben was with me. He still had his plane, fashioned from the old gutted body of his 1992 Toyota truck. It was something I had always been jealous of--the fact that he could fly, and with a contraption made so simply from everyday parts.

And it was time to join him at the Ball.

Little did I know that a secret project, known only as "Colony 945", had somehow partially been discovered and was being erased from those who knew. I was unwittingly one of them, and was currently escaping detection. I had two folders filled with papers and notes, complete duplicates of each other as far as I was concerned. They had been borrowed from me temporarily by an Instructor, and were being kept by him in a roomful of Students from the Towers who also knew of the secret. They were of all varying ethnicities, dressed in white, smiling.

The Ball was going on downstairs, and sensing danger, I brought took my makeshift aluminumese gun with me, kept securely in my left suit pocket. When I finally reached the Ball at the bottom of the spiraling stairs, I saw a Guard scanning people with a handheld detector. I rushed back upstairs with intention to leave my gun, as it would be of no use tonite anyway. On my way back to my room, I decided to drop by the Students' room--unaware of its purpose--and noticed that the Instructor was absent. I saw the folders that I had provided him sitting unprotected in his seat, and realized that he had combined all of the content into one of them, thus revealing some scratched notes scrawled on the inner-rear of one of the folders. As I stared, the Instructor returned quietly through a side door, and I read only the words "Colony 945" written in cursive. The others were a blur to me. The Instructor looked surprised at my presence, and as I spun around and vacated the Students' room through an opposite side door, he began to give chase.

I rushed down those stairs and saw that an Assassin had been appointed and now hovered mere seconds behind me. I leapt entire stairwells, planting my feet horizontally against the walling before leaping sideways again down the next entire well. He followed suit. Eventually he caught me midair and wrapped his ankles around my neck in a scissored grip, ready to snap. But I was able to withstand his Death Embrace.

There was something about me. Something meant to know of this secret. Something that would not die.

No comments: