The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Monday, March 31, 2008

The valley clean

I know this spring snow,
wet and thick and clinging
like armor on everything it coats.
The slick roads surprise us--
we've forgotten how to drive in snow.
The moon's a pale, waning smirk,
almost lost among
the floating turmoil in the sky.
The mountains are white as bone,
a landscape of hips and teeth and knuckles.
Low clouds form another range,
the same dead-white color,
spun off where mountain meets valley
like estranged cousins.
A fortress of winter encircles us,
an icy crown tightens over our heads.

By late morning the sky blossoms,
the sun emerges from its cloak
and sweeps
the valley clean.

2 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

So true, you wrote it perfectly my love. I love that it all melted in one day. Now even the grass looks greener. It's Spring!

heather said...

i love the way you describe the mountains as bones, such a clear and strange and mystical image. this is beautiful and kinda makes me wish i could experience this kind of late snow, i guess once in a while we get it here, but nothing like that. anyway gorgeous poem, love it.