The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Monday, August 29, 2005

Toll bridge crossing

Another August weekend has passed. Amy was gone Friday night until Saturday around noon. So it was just me and a couple babies. I enjoyed the extra time with them, but I feel like I was just a wee bit stressed. Bonny came over with Carl and Joe, then William and Jessica showed up to pick up the boys. At this same time, Jarom climbed up onto the entertainment center and the shelf holding the TV collapsed. It was sheer mayhem. After remedying that situation, I put the kids to bed (against their will) and finally settled down with a huge cupful of candy (a proud mixture of Peanut M&M's, Red Vines, and Starburst, provided ever-so-kindly by Bonny) and finally finished watching The House of Flying Daggers. What an awesome movie. It's a tragedy, but it's so well-filmed and cinematographed that you can't tear your eyes off it. Unless, of course, you seem very hot and tired and you're falling asleep, like I proceeded to do the first time I tried to watch it. I love the Japanese language. I just found out Bonny is learning it. It makes me want to also. Add another to my list.

Saturday we took this extravagant journey to Piedmont to attend the wedding reception of one of my old college roommates, Sean Mills. He and his new wife are apparently filthy rich, as this reception was extremely fancy. Luckily, Ben and Whitney showed up also, mere minutes after us, so we had some companionship. Other than Ben and Whitney and Sean, we didn't know a single soul there. We hung around long enough to get some vittles and some free bamboo shoots, then left to go see Ben and Whitney's pad in Martinez. They live in a bit of a dump, but it's free for them and they've made it nice enough. We had a great visit and ate some wonderful cowpies thanks to Whitney's health-conscious sensibility and ingenuity. Then we went home to pick up our tired babes and go to bed.

Except that I didn't go to bed. I wasn't all that tired, and I ended up staying up until 3:20 (!) writing. Writing is so fun, but I am not sure if I'm going in the direction that I would want to at this point. But I've resigned myself; that's okay - I don't need to craft a masterpiece my first time around. This will be my initial attempt, and I'll go from there.

Sunday we were up late for church, but my class was ausente so I got to spend some time with Amy and Bella. That night we made an interesting dinner, I cooked edamame and some salmon, along with prepackaged angel hair pasta. Then Amy made some peanut butter cup brownies and we went up to Dad's house for a couple hours. I was in this mood, something was distressing me. I think I was upset that Jarom is so disobedient at times, and depressed that I want to write so well but haven't really lived up to my own expectations so far. I just needed to spend a moment or two calming and centering myself, and then I was fine, all worries forgotten. I tried reading my textbook for my Communications groupwork homework, but it bored me quickly and I fell asleep.

Tonite is baseball nite. Hoo-ray.

Ah. I do love life.

Audio: Album of the Year|The Good Life
Video: Shi mian mai fu (The House of Flying Daggers) [2004|Yimou Zhang]
Text: my Communications textbook

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mattie, i like reading this. is it weird writing like, your JOURNAL entries here for all to see? i am trying to decide if i want to or not. my journal is so different that my blog stuff. but i feel motivated to write when i do it on the computer for whatever reason. anyway, i want to tell you one thing. i'm starting a new comment, it is that important.

Anonymous said...

okay here's the ONE THING. jarom is disobedient, yes, mischievous yes and rowdy and so forth. but he is SO GOOD. he is so INSANELY CURIOUS about the world around him and how he fits in and what actions/reactions he can cause and how everything words that i can practically see his little mind and soul flying. please don't be too stressed about him. let other people deal with their own insecurities, doubts, whatever when it comes to their idiotic assessments of him. don't let anyone say anything that bothers you. the thing is, don't take it personally except to pat yourself on the back and say DUDE I CREATED THE MOST BRILLIANT LITTLE RAPSCALLION EVER AND HE IS GOING TO BE A MAN OF GREATNESS, GUARANTEED! the rest of the world is just jealous and they can shove it.

Anonymous said...

Actually Heather I'm right here and got to see your comments as they flowed in! (Thanks go out to email notifications). Thanks for reading and commenting, I love it. I don't mind much writing a "journal"-type entry online, I don't get extremely personal and I doubt many read it. Plus I'm such a keyboard junkie that this is the only way I'll ever write anything down!

Thanks for the comment on Jarom. It really made me think. You're right, I stress out occasionally because of him, especially when others are around, and I need to lighten up more and see the positive. Though I truly do try to do that often! It's just hard to keep it up continually. Anyway, thanks again. And I love Jarom more than I could imagine - as if that needed to be said. I think he's brilliant, very curious and loving and happy and passionate. It's great.... I actually should stop stressing and strive to be more like him. Seriously.