The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Thursday, October 27, 2005

In the cave, observing my own shadows and calling them reality

So my kind janitor at work decided to do away with his old cleaning detergent and start fresh with something new. To my great pleasure, he picked a cleanser with a scent that is quite full of memories and nostalgia and wonder, at least to me. Through detective work I found the name of this new, strange detergent: it is called Festival - Lavender scent. This smell is beautiful to me because it smells extremely similar to the detergent smell I noticed throughout all three port towns we went to in Mexico on our cruise. Now, I do realize that these were just port towns, rationed for tourism, and that our six or eight hours there do no justice to the nation of Mexico or the true sights, sounds, beauty, and culture that are there to be had and experienced. But partially because of this, the smell means something to me. It's a scintillating, fresh, youthful, invigorating smell, and I love it. It reminds me particularly of the streets of Mazatlan and the chunky sidewalks with the open breezeways and children paying close attention to a teacher through a window, while laundry was to be done and bikes to be ridden and hardly a taqueria was to be found.

I went to the city park with Jarom and Bella, Zack and Sylan on Sunday. Jarom requested that I bring bubbles. Once we got them out and started blowing, they were a hit. About four other little girls gathered around with Jarom and asked for big ones to pop. I blew bubbles for about a half hour. Two sets of parents/guardians asked if I were a teacher or a nanny. They said I was good with children. That made me feel good, and it prompted a new wave of thought deep in the stirrings of my soul. I do love children. I love to relate to them, to play with them, to teach them and watch them understand. Perhaps it is a portion of my opportunity, or calling, in life, to teach or otherwise work with children. I would love it.

Ahhh. So Amy turned 24 on Monday, the same day that she returned from Dana Point. We missed her, and we're all glad she's back. It sounds as if she had an interesting, talk-filled time. I wish that I had something more elaborate planned for her birthday. What I did was make a card with a family photo (modified to include hearts in place of lips of everyone but her, of course), and within the card was a pouch that held the lyrics to a somewhat bland and repetitive a capella song I've been creating, and three expected gift certificates: a dinner out, boots and an outfit, and a photo developing session. We took care of the photo session last nite, and they should be done tomorrow. Tonite we went out to Lil' Johnny Di Carlo's (the name being changed from Lil' Mama Di Carlo's bothers me for some reason), the meal was fairly good and Dad got a chance to do some babysitting. Our waiter was one Ty Blankenship, a fellow that I knew from Spanish in high school and Amy knew through his brother and Glory. So we had a nice time.

Now I am up at 2 in the morning, mind racing, indecisive on just about everything possible: should I add music to my iPod, should I write more of my story, or my short story, or perhaps start a new thing entirely, should I balance the checkbook - I did just get paid today, should I go to bed, should I continue to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy considering I have a 2000 word paper due, hmmm say a week from tomorrow? Should I just go to bed? Should I? Sounds like the proper choice, but, I am afraid to say, I shall instead end this and find something else to occupy my mind with. None of the above?

Audio: Worship and Tribute|Glassjaw
Video: nothing! Haven't been seeing many movies these moving days
Text: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy|Douglas Adams

My word of the day: draconian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey mattie, i like your description of the dilemma you face trying to decide what to do next at 2 in the morning!! sounds familiar. anyway i watched princess mononoke, i really hope addie gave it back to you, i was in love with it. i loved traveling to this totally wild new land.