The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Electrical storm

The most amazing storm threatened Placerville last nite. It was incredible. I could add up all the ligtning I've witnessed in my lifetime and multiply it by five, and it still wouldn't amount to what I saw last nite. The lights just went on and on forever in a dazzling display. They buzzed from all directions, the sky lit up and the strikes danced from cloud to cloud and from cloud to earth.

I feel like I am some seer or revelator, that I predicted this in my story from the 23rd. Very interesting. I was tempted to go and lay on my car as I wish to do, and experience that storm in its fullest. I was not afraid of the lightning. Strike me if you have to, you can't kill me!

I went out in the rain at home and sang some passionate words and did some cartwheels while the rain soaked my back. It was fun. The smell of rain and slick oiled streets have been missed by us these last few months. Now is the time for it all to return.

Do your worst.

Audio: The Weight is a Gift|Nada Surf
Video: oh, I don't know, some Punk'd, MTV, cable, you know, we're not used to it
Text: not much

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's an interesting question, did you cause the storm? or was it a coincident (or incidents inhabiting the same space)? Or did you predict the storm? how did you feel the night of the first incident? did you have any premonitions? did you feel like what you were writing would come true?
do you remember when we were on your first rafting training trip in 4,000 cfs and there was a huge storm and you yelled out "do your worst" and the storm exploded?
i think you're a bit of a "rain-man" in the non-dustin hoffman sense of the word.

Anonymous said...

Good questions. I felt immersed in my tale, as I merged some reality into it, but I did not feel I was predicting anything.

I remember that rafting trip well, though I always tell everyone it was 8000 cfs. I just know it was huge and that Meat Grinder worked us.

I like that rainman identity. I think I'll keep it.

Anonymous said...

matt, once again, of course, i'm reminded of a book i'm reading in school. this one for my favorite class, native american literature, the book is ceremony by leslie marmon silko and i'm totally obsessed with it. and reality is created from storytelling, that is a huge part of native american culture, the author writes in the very beginning, grandmother spider is weaving the story and it is happening as i am writing it now, or something. i have it all messed up. but i do think it's pretty cool that you wrote that story and then the one about the ghost right before you saw that movie without even realizing it. i think you are definitely in touch with some universal powers, maybe because you are so aware of the sky.