The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Split forked tongue (The serpent)

One venture home I stumbled 'cross
a serpent in my path.
Thick as a stump, with gaping mouth,
his red eyes filled with wrath.

He slithered 'round my feet and flickered
with his split forked tongue.
His steely gaze he matched with mine,
a wicked hymn he sung.

He said, "Your ways are cursed, the time
is looming near my friend.
By noonday's morrow you shall see,
you'll come to meet your end."

"But devil dear, it is not you
who'll tempt me by and by.
I have no fear of you. Now leave
me be," was my reply.

With this he hissed and coiled back
and venom filled his smile.
He lunged with otherworldly strength
to smite me with his guile.

I stopped him still, he had not struck.
My fingers clasped his neck.
And now his red eyes swarmed with fear,
"Your mercy I request!"

"It is no fault of mine that I've
been called to take you hence!
Your fate had come. Now spare my life!
I'll owe you my defense."

A twinkling gleam of cunning plan
flashed silent 'cross his face.
This serpent owed me no such thing -
he'd offer me no grace.

So I left him defeated there
astride the earth and dust.
My death defied, the devil died
of fright and lack of trust.

"There's much to do, my devil dear,
you'll not catch me with ease.
In time I'll come, 'til then I'll run
and live just as I please."

Now let this be a lesson to
those fearful of the dead.
When it's time and death does chime,
summon for him instead.

1 comment:

Joseph Beatty said...

wow. seriously.