The death of a moon cowboy

I am a somewhat-youth with ideas and thoughts and too many dreams that sometimes overflow as these little dribblings from my fingertips. I guess you can try to collect and capture them.


Saturday, October 15, 2005

Strain the snow

Amy and I had driven in my white Sentra out onto a vast, endless field of grass. It was nighttime and there was a tall lighted restroom building nearby helping to illuminate the scene. I got out of the car while Amy remained inside. It was bitterly cold. With a sudden droop of the sky, it began to snow heavily - which seemed strange for the time of year. I wasn't expecting it, but it was beautiful and serene and calm, the contrast of white on black made the whole world come alive. The snow came down in buckets; I watched it filter through the restroom's lights. The grass became slushy with it while it piled up.

Soon the cold and the snow stuck and coated everything in thickening layers of winter. I had run and stood beneath the restroom's overhang so I could watch without being too frozen or drenched. It was then that I decided to get back in the car with Amy, to try and get us someplace else. I hoped the car would start, what with its recent problems and all. The starter revved and cranked with the turn of the key, and it sounded as if it wouldn't start. I looked to Amy, devastated. Then it occurred to me that the engine had already turned over and the car was running. Well ho ho!

We slowly slid atop the icy, snowy grass, slipping this way and that. I imagined throwing the wheel hard to the right and having us slide through some harmless 360s. That's when I saw the slope ahead of us. A steep downward angle defined it, and it was covered in moguls of snow while cragged peaks of rock poked through the accumulated snow. Thin pillars of shadow crept across the slope eerily from some unnamed light source.

We were doomed, with no available route to escape the blizzard.

[Partial dream before waking up at 8:11 AM]

No comments: